BodyImageHealth resources for schools, health educators, professionals and parents. All downloadable documents may be printed for educational use.
Information about the Healthy Bodies curriculum
- Read about the newly revised Healthy Bodies; Teaching Kids What They Need to Know curriculum—A comprehensive lesson plan to address body image, eating, fitness and weight concerns in today’s challenging environment. Scripted for upper elementary school children, these eleven engaging lessons and the model upon which they are based are adaptable for any age or venue. [Links to Healthy Bodies curriculum button]
- Look over the Table of Contents (pdf) and lesson summary
- View the Mission Statement (pdf)
- Read the entire Preface (pdf) for a complete introduction to and overview of the lessons.
- See the Model for Healthy Body Image and Weight upon which the lessons are based, as well as the Healthy Body Building Blocks written in child-friendly language.
- Read a sample lesson (pdf)
- Outcome studies: (pdf) Read the published results of pilot studies classroom settings.
- Healthy Bodies curriculum handouts
“As a therapist treating eating and body image problems I have spent over 50 thousand hours working to correct the mindset and problems that ensue when what you weigh becomes more important than your health or who you are. On a daily basis I am on the quest for material that will help young people avoid the problems I treat in the first place. I hit the jackpot with Kathy Kater's Healthy Bodies curriculum. This lesson plan is so comprehensive, so important, informative and easy to adapt, it can be used for all ages and all settings. Ms Kater's book will assist anyone wishing to help young and old live a balanced, healthy lifestyle. It should be required reading in every school and is a must for anyone in the field of disordered eating, weight control and body image.” —Carolyn Costin, MA, LMFT, Executive Director, Monte Nido Treatment Center, Author: Your Dieting Daughter
- Invite the author to provide training or speak at your school, clinic, organization, business wellness function or community-wide event.
- Promotional flyer for the Healthy Bodies curriculum
- Toxic Cultural Myths underlie most body image, eating, fitness, and weight concerns
- Antidotes for toxic cultural myths
“As an educator who has taught thousands of university undergraduate students the basics of personal health, fitness, and nutrition, I find the Healthy Bodies curriculum to be comprehensive and compelling. The perspectives and information provided offer a holistic, person-centered approach to helping young people understand the complexities that characterize body size, shape, and image. Moreover, the lessons for the students themselves are practical, enjoyable and effective. Professionally, I would recommend this text to anybody who faces the challenge of how to appropriately develop positive body understanding and acceptance for people in any age range. Future generations will be better prepared to face a looksist and ableist society with these lessons.” —Tucker Readdy, Ph.D Assistant Professor, Exercise & Sport Psychology, University of Wyoming